Yang Zi (杨紫) is a Chinese actress born in Fangshan District, Beijing, China on November 6, 1992. She is a child star, having made her debut in 1999 and is one of China’s most popular female actresses. She is regarded as the “Four Dan Actresses” of the post-90s generation, as her recent works such as “Ode to Joy”, “Ashes of Love” and “Go Go Squid!” has seen positive viewership from the Chinese audience.
On Weibo, Yang Zi is also one of the most followed Chinese actresses, with over 55 million followers.
Table of contents
Name: Yang Zi
Chinese Name: 杨紫 (Simplified); 楊紫 (Traditional)
Birth Name: Yang Ni’ao (杨旎奥)
English Name: Andy Yang
Nicknames: Little Purple Monkey (小猴紫), Ao’bao (奥宝), Aoao (奥奥), Zimei (紫妹)
Nationality: People’s Republic of China
Ethnicity: Han Chinese
Birthday: November 6, 1992
Place Of Birth: Fangshan District, Beijing, China
Blood Type: A
Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Chinese Zodiac Sign: Monkey
Height: 167 cm (5’5″ ft)
Weight: 48-50kg (she doesn’t reveal her actual weight)
Occupation: Actress, Singer
Date of Debut: 1999
Agency: Huanrui Century Pictures
Education: Beijing Film Academy
Official Social Media Accounts
Fandom Name: Zimi (紫米)
Fandom Meaning: Purple rice
Official fandom color: Purple
Fan chant: “执紫之手，与紫同行”
Fan Chant Meaning: Hold the hands of Zi, walk with Zi
Yang Zi Official Fan Club: 杨紫官方后援会
Yang Zi Bar: 杨紫吧官方微
Yang Zi Net Announcement: 杨紫网宣
Yang Zi Counter Antis Team: 杨紫官方反黑站
- She is a child star, and debuted at 7 years old.
- Yang Zi has a pet, a teddy dog named “piupiu”
- She studied at Beijing Film Academy.
- Her major was in acting.
- Yang Zi’s pet was given to her as an 18th birthday gift by her mother.
- Her favorite and comfort food is hotpot.
- She’s a foodie but she always eats in moderation to lose weight.
- Yang Zi is left handed but she can use either right or left hands when eating.
- She can play guitar, drums and a little bit of piano.
- Her ultimate idol has been Zhao Wei since the age of 5.
- She’s also a fangirl of Eddie Peng (Peng Yu-Yan).
- Her international idol is Audrey Hepburn. She considers her as a role model.
- Yang Zi’s boy best friend is Zhang Yishan.
- Zhang Yishan considers her a childhood best friend, more like siblings since they collaborated in the sitcom series “Home With Kids” in 2004.
- She will always dedicate Zhang Yishan a happy birthday post on her Weibo page.
- Her female best friend is Qiao Xin.
- Their role as best friends in the drama “Ode to Joy ” became a true friendship in real life!
- She has a good private relationship with Ma Sichun.
- Their friendship began way back 2011 when she collaborated with Ma Sichun’s aunt, Jiang Wenli, in “Love Comes Knocking on the Door”, the drama.
- She recommended the script of “Psychologist” drama to Jing Boran for him to play as the male lead.
- Jing Boran calls her Xiao Yang Zi (Little Yang Zi) as he used to call her in that nickname when they collaborated for “Girl Rushes Forward” drama way back 2009.
- Yang Zi recommended Deng Lun to the “Ashes of Love” team to play as the male lead.
- She is Jackson Wang’s childhood crush.
- Yang Zi is deathly afraid of ghosts that she keeps a knife beside her bed as her “weapon”.
- She’s also afraid of rats or mice.
- The scene in “Ashes of Love” where she had to hold an albino rat took her some time to film because she’s too scared.
- She has a fear of heights but she said she overcame it especially during filming of “Legend of the Dragon Pearl” drama where she had many flying stunts.
- Yang Zi won “Best Newcomer Award” at Golden Phoenix Awards when she was just 17 years old for her performance in “Insistence” thriller film.
- Most of her dramas were dubbed by herself and she has even dubbed characters for various films.
- She also sings theme songs for her films and dramas.
- Yang Zi loves doing charity work. Even the money she got from winning lawsuits are all given for donations.
- Her fans calls her “Wife”(老婆).
- She is open to the concept of falling in love.
- But she said she just doesn’t have the time and she hasn’t met the right person yet.
- She mentioned that she has never developed real feelings for any actor in the variety show “The Detectives‘ Adventures”, though she failed the lie detector.
- In her recent magazine interview, she said she wants to get married by the age of 35.
- She considers comfort as an important thing to her. That’s why she’s most of the time seen wearing boots or sneakers instead of heels underneath her long gowns for events.
- Yang Zi likes to be praised for her acting, not for her appearance.
- She is also good friends with Li Xian, her Go Go Squid drama partner.
- Yang Zi was rumored to be dating Lay Zhang, but such allegations have been called out as officially false by both parties.
Yang Zi Quotes
“I feel bad when I’m not confident. I feel like there’s no hope, no future. Feeling like I am not as fortunate as others. And then I look at myself and think… I’m different. So keep trying, and your dreams will come true!”
“Our love and commitment will bring confidence and courage to them (children), and will create more beautiful moments for the world.”
“Let’s not feel inferior. Don’t feel small. Don’t feel ordinary. No, everyone is great. Because there’s no second person in the world like you. If you have an initial dream. Just go on and insist that every dream is great.”
“Everything in my life, my career, I want to own it.”
“My ambition is to make a work be more than just a piece of work.”
- 《沉香如屑》- as Yan Dan | TBA
- Psychologist《女心理师》- as He Dun | TBA
- The Golden Hairpin《青簪行》- as Huang Zixia / Yang Chonggu | TBA
- The Oath of Love《余生请多指教》- Lin Zhixiao | TBA
- Go Go Squid 2: Dt. Appledog’s Time《我的时代，你的时代》- as Tong Nian (cameo) | 2021
- Hear Her《听见她说》— Wish for Love《许愿》- as Xiao Yu | 2020
- My Mowgli Boy《我的莫格利男孩》- as Ling Xi | 2019
- Go Go Squid!《亲爱的，热爱的》- as Tong Nian | 2019
- Ashes of Love《香蜜沉沉烬如霜》- as Jin Mi | 2018
- The Destiny of White Snake《天乩之白蛇传说》- as Bai Yao Yao | 2018
- Women in Beijing《北京女子图鉴》- as Miao Miao | 2018
- Ode To Joy Season 2《欢乐颂2 》- as Qiu Yingying | 2017
- Legend of the Dragon Pearl《龙珠传奇》- as Li Yihuan | 2017
- Legend of Chusen aka Noble Aspirations Season 2《青云志》- as Lu Xueqi | 2016
- Legend of Chusen aka Noble Aspirations Season 1《青云志》- as Lu Xueqi | 2016
- Great Marriage《大嫁风尚》- as Xia Ran | 2016
- Ode To Joy Season 1《欢乐颂》- as Qiu Yingying | 2016
- The Ferryman II《灵魂摆渡2》- as Su Wenxiu | 2015
- Yangko Dance《大秧歌》- as Wu Ruowen | 2015
- Say No for Youth《天生要完美》- as An Xiaohui | 2015
- Battle of Changsha《战长沙》- as Hu Xiangxiang | 2014
- Flowers in the Fog《花非花雾非雾》- as Bai Menghua | 2013
- Dad Comes Home《老爸回家》- as Lin Ranran | 2013
- Rouge King《胭脂霸王》- as Lei Er | 2013
- Angel Heart《心术》- as Zhang Xiaolei | 2012
- Love Comes Knocking on the Door《幸福来敲门》- as Song Zheng | 2011
- Wu Cheng’en and Journey to the West《吴承恩与西游记》- as Ye Yun (young) | 2010
- Boy’s Diary《男生日记》- as Ran Dongyang | 2010
- The Years of Innocence《纯真岁月》- as Mai Sidan | 2009
- Coming Home《回家》- as Zhou Youyou | 2009
- Stage of Youth《青春舞台》- as Secretary Liu | 2009
- Don’t Want to Grow Up《不想长大》- as Teacher Jing | 2009
- Girl Rushes Forward《女孩冲冲冲》- as Sun Quan | 2009
- Treasure《珍宝》- as Bei La | 2008
- Being Alive is Good《活着真好》- as Chen Huan | 2008
- The Warmth《温暖》- as Zhao Xuan | 2007
- Not Easy to Grow Up《长大不容易》- as Shu Xin | 2006
- Unlimited Vitality《无限生机》- as Ming Na | 2006
- Home With Kids Season 2《家有儿女2》- as Xiaxue | 2006
- Fate《缘分》- as Wei Sichen | 2005
- Girl’s Diary《女生日记》- as Ran Dongyang | 2005
- Home With Kids Season 1《家有儿女1》- as Xiaxue | 2005
- Face Bravely《勇敢面对》- as Lingzi | 2004
- Family Archives《家庭档案》- as Ji Ji | 2004
- Crime Scene《案发现场》- as Sun Hongyue | 2004
- Young Kangxi《少年康熙》- as Bing Yue | 2003
- Xiaozhuang Epic《孝庄秘史》- as Consort Donggo (young) | 2002
- The Party Member Ma Dajie《党员马大姐》- as Xiao Qiang (guest role) | 2002
- The Grand Mansion Gate《大宅门》- as the Girl Selling Apple 2001
- Like a Mountain《如次出山》- as Zhou Qiong | 1999
Films and Movies
- The Bravest《电影烈火英雄》 – Yang Zi as Wang Lu | 2019
- Bodies at Rest《电影沉默的证人》- Yang Zi as Qiao Lin | 2019
- A Paper Marriage《电影一纸婚约》- Yang Zi as Ling Ling | 2018
- Crying Out in Love《电影在世界中心呼唤爱 》- Yang Zi as Xia Ye | 2016
- Papa《电影洛杉矶捣蛋计划》- Yang Zi as Wang Nina | 2016
- Where are All the Time《电影时间都去哪了》- Yang Zi as Lin Yutong | 2015
- King Tea Storm《电影斗茶》- Yang Zi as Xie Xiaoxiang | 2014
- Insistence《电影守株人》- Yang Zi as Jia Jia | 2012
- Mother’s Call《电影妈妈的呼唤》- YangZi as Qiao Ni | (filmed:2005)(premiered: 2012)
- Death and Glory in Changde《电影喋血孤城》- Yang Zi as Tao Er | 2010
- Third Class, Fifth Class《电影三班五班》- Yang Zi as Ran Dongyang | 2010
- Money Makes Trouble《电影小题大做》- Yang Zi as Shi Xiaotao | 2010
- Boys and Girls《电影男生女生》- Yang Zi as Ran Dongyang | 2009
- I am a Fan《电影我是粉丝》- Yang Zi as Qiao Xiaoqiao | 2008
- The Last Fragrance《电影最后的芬芳》- Yang Zi as Duo Lun | 2007
- The Quiet Lady《电影少女穆然》- Yang Zi as He Lan | 2004
- Dad Wants a Divorce《电影爸爸要离婚》- Yang Zi as Ji Ji | 2004
- An Old Record《电影一张老唱片》- Yang Zi as Ding Yun | 2004
- Old Fei《电影老费》- Yang Zi as Xiao Lan | 2004
- Girl’s Diary《电影女生日记》- Yang Zi as Ran Dongyang | 2004
- The Law of Romance《电影警察有约》- Yang Zi as young Sanshun (cameo) | 2003
- Soul Snatcher《赤狐书生》- Yang Zi as Ying Wuxie | 2020
- Looking for Dog Topias《尋找狗托邦》- as Nancy | 2009
- Naughty Baby Jump《淘氣包馬小跳》- as Mao Xiaotao | 2008
Variety Show Appearances
- The Detectives’ Adventures《萌探探探案》- (fixed member) | 2021
- Back to Field Season 5《向往的生活第五季》- (guest) | 2021
- Go Fridge Season 5《拜托了冰箱第五季》- (guest) | 2019
- Chinese Restaurant Season 3《中餐厅3》- (fixed member) | 2019
- Give Me Five Season 2《高能少年团2》- (fixed member) | 2018
- Sisters Over Flowers《花样姐姐》- (fixed member) | 2015
- We are Young Season 2《花样年华2》- (fixed member) | 2014
- Snow At Home《家有小雪》 – Home With Kids Special Album | 2008
- The Oath of Love《余生请多指教》– The Oath of Love OST with Xiao Zhan | 2020
- Somebody Liking Someone《一个人喜欢一个人》– The Oath of Love OST | 2020
- Bring Your Own Breeze《打破沉默》– Qing Feng (Breeze) endorsement theme song with Mosaic Band | 2020
- Breaking the Silence《打破沉默》– Bodies at Rest movie theme song with Richie Jen and MC Jin | 2019
- Bread and Milk《牛奶麵包》– Go Go Squid! OST | 2019
- Love Frost《情霜》– Ashes of Love OST | 2018
- Heaven and Earth Without Frost《天地無霜》– Ashes of Love OST with Deng Lun | 2018
- A Few Joys《幾生歡》– The Destiny of White Snake OST | 2018
- Earthworm《蚯蚓》- Ode To Joy S2: Qiu Yingying’s character theme song | 2017
- Us《我們》– Ode To Joy S2 theme song with Liu Tao, Wang Ziwen, Jiang Xin and Qiao Xin | 2017
- Kung Fu Yoga《功夫瑜伽》- Kung Fu Yoga movie theme song with Jackie Chan and Zhang Yishan | 2017
- If Only As First Seen《若只如初見》– Legend of Chusen aka Noble Aspirations OST | 2016
- Morning, jiayou!《早，加油》- KFC endorsement theme song | 2016
- There’s Always Happiness Waiting for You《總有幸福在等你》- Ode To Joy S1 ending theme song with Liu Tao, Wang Ziwen, Jiang Xin and Qiao Xin | 2016
- Blooming than Flowers《開的比花香》- Ode To Joy S1: Qiu Ying Ying’s character theme song | 2016
- I Will Remember You《我會記得你》- Battle of Changsha ending theme song with Wallace Huo | 2014
- Rouge Blooming《胭脂花開》- Rouge King ending theme song | 2013
- The Silent Rubble《寂靜的瓦礫》- Insistence OST | 2013
- Let’s Live《樂活一下》- Lohas family OST | 2010
- Grow Up a Little Bit Everyday《每天長大一點點》- Not Easy to Grow up OST | 2009
- Five Rings in Hand《牽手五環》- Song created for the 2008 Beijing Olympics | 2008
Awards and Nominations
- “Quality Shining Drama Star” – Dragon TV 2021 China Quality TV Drama Awards | March 5, 2021
- “All-round Quality Drama Star” – Dragon TV 2021 China Quality TV Drama Awards | March 5, 2021
- “2020 Weibo Queen” – 2020 Weibo Night | February 28, 2021
- “Tencent Video VIP” – 2020 Tencent Starlight Awards | December 20, 2020
- “Most Commercially Valuable Star Artist of the Year” – 2020 Golden Puffer Awards | November 26, 2020
- “Most Influential Actress of the Year” – 2019 Star Power List | May 7, 2020
- “Actress of the Year” – 2019 Cloud+ Awards | January 14, 2020
- “Popular Actor of the Year” – 2019 Cloud+ Awards | January 14, 2020
- “Word-of-mouth Actor of the Year” – Film and Television Word of Mouth List 2019 Golden Monument Awards | January 14, 2020
- “2019 Weibo Queen” – 2019 Weibo Queen | January 11, 2020
- “Weibo Popular Artist of the Year” – 2019 Weibo Night | January 11, 2020
- “All-around Star of the Year” – 2019 Headlines Awards | January 8, 2020
- “Tencent Star News TV Series Actress of the Year” – 2019 Tencent Entertainment White Paper Awards | January 7, 2020
- “Popular Actress of the Year” (work: Go Go Squid!) – Film and Television Models: 2019 Annual General Evaluation List | January 7, 2020
- “2019 Entertainment Person of the Year” – Beijing News Awards | January 3, 2020
- “Most Popular Actress” – 2019 TV Drama Awards | January 3, 2020
- “One of Top 10 People of the Year” – 2019 Southern Metropolis Entertainment | January 2, 2020
- “Outstanding Actor Award” – 6th China TV Good Actors Annual Ceremony | December 22, 2019
- “Sina Annual Most Popular Actress Award” – 2019 Sina Film and Television Festival | December 20, 2019
- “Most Popular Actress Award by College Students” (work: Go Go Squid!) – 8th China University Student Television Festival | December 17, 2019
- “Most Popular Supporting Actress Award by College Students” (work: The Bravest) – 16th Guangzhou University Student Film Exhibition | December 11, 2019
- “Screaming Goddess of the Year” (work: Go Go Squid!) – 2020 iQIYI Scream Night | December 6, 2019
- “Best Actress in Contemporary Chinese TV Series” (work: Go Go Squid!) – 26th Huading Awards | December 1, 2019
- “Boiling Star of the Year” – 2019 Baidu Boiling Point Star List | December 1, 2019
- “Top 2 TV Series Favorite Actresses of College Students” – 2019 Golden Tower Awards | November 7, 2019
- “Family Favorite Actress” – 2019 Autumn Sofa Film Festival | November 6, 2019
- “Actress of the Year” – 2019 NetEase Entertainment Festival – November 1, 2019
- “TV Series Star of the Year” (work: Ashes of Love) – 2018 Tencent Entertainment White Paper Awards | January 17, 2019
- “Popular Actress of the Year” (work: Ashes of Love) – Film and Television Models: 2018 Annual General Evaluation List | January 26, 2019
- “Weibo Goddess of the Year” – 2018 Weibo Night | January 11, 2019
- “Popular Star of the Year” – 2019 NetEase News | January 11, 2019
- “Screen Artist of the Year” – 2018 Baidu Encyclopedia Awards | December 28, 2018
- “Most Watched Star of the Year” – 2018 Headlines Awards | December 23, 2018
- “Popular TV Series Actress Award” (work: Ashes of Love) – 2018 Tencent Video Starlight Awards | December 18, 2018
- “Popular Female Star of the Year” – 2018 Sohu Fashion Festival | December 2, 2018
- “Popular Artist of the Year” – 2017 Weibo Night | January 18, 2018
- “Breakthrough Artist of the Year” – 2017 Weibo TV Influence Awards Ceremony | September 26, 2017
- “Quality Portfolio of the Year” (work: Ode To Joy) – 2019 Chinese TV Drama Quality Awards | February 26, 2017
- “Popular Artist of the Year” – 2016 Weibo Night | January 16, 2017
- “Baidu Entertainment Person of the Year” – 2016 Baidu Star Thanksgiving Season | December 8, 2016
- “Leaping Actress of the Year (Most Youthful and Charismatic Actor)” | 2016 Chinese Opera Festival – December 2, 2016
- “Best Newcomer Award” (work: Insistence) – The 14th Golden Phoenix Awards | September 1, 2013
- “Best Supporting Actress” (work: The Bravest) – The 35th Hundred Flowers Awards | September 26, 2020
- “Popular Female Star of the Year” – 2019 Sohu Fashion Festival | December 18, 2019
- “Best Supporting Actress” (work: The Bravest) – The 11th Macao International Film Festival | December 2, 2019
- “Female Chinese Drama Star of the Year” – 2018 Sohu Fashion Festival | December 2, 2018
- “Best Actress Award in Chinese Costume Drama Theme” (work: Ashes of Love) – 24th Huading Awards | November 9, 2018
- “Audience’s Favorite Actress Award” (work: Ode To Joy) – 29th China TV Golden Eagle Awards | October 14, 2018
- “Most Popular Actress Award” (work: Ode To Joy) – 12th China Golden Eagle TV Art Festival | October 12, 2018
- “Best Supporting Actress” (work: Ode To Joy) – 23rd Shanghai TV Festival Magnolia Awards | May 24, 2017
- “Best Actress Award in Chinese Costume Drama Theme” (work: Legend of Chusen aka Noble Aspirations) – 22nd Huading Awards | May 18, 2017
- “Best Supporting Actress” (work: Angel Heart) – 2012 2nd Sohu Video Awards | August 15, 2012
- “Best Supporting Actress” (work: Love Comes Knocking on the Door) – 2011 1st Sohu Video Awards | January 11, 2012
- “Outstanding Child Actor Award” (work: Girl’s Diary) – The 12th Chinese Film Tong Niu Awards | June 1, 2004
- Tencent Video – Spokesperson
- Coach – Ms COACH Series Brand Spokesperson
- Chopard – Brand Ambassador
- Origins – Brand Spokesperson
- NIVEA – Body Skin Care Spokesperson
- Lay’s Chips – Brand Spokesperson
- Chunzhen Yogurt – Brand Spokesperson
- Glico-Pocky – Brand Spokesperson
- Yougan (Tangerine Lemon) Tea – Brand Spokesperson
- Shuanghui snacks – Brand Spokesperson
- Oral-B – Brand Spokesperson
- Qing Feng (Breeze) tissues – Brand Spokesperson
- Kotex – Brand Spokesperson
- Ryo hair care – Brand Spokesperson
- Love Home and Planet – Brand Spokesperson
- Artiz Studio – Asia Pacific Star Creative Artist
Public Welfare and Charity Titles
- Campus Charity Ambassador | 2021
- “Philharmonic Listening Project” Love Ambassador | 2020
- “Chinese Science Popularization Month” Anti-epidemic Science Ambassador | 2020
- China Youth Daily fasts wild animals and strives to be self-disciplined youth advocates | 2020
- National Anti-fraud Center and Tencent Guardian Program Guardian Ambassador | 2020
- Poverty Alleviation Promoter of China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation | 2020
- Wild Rescue Charity Ambassador | 2020
- Ambassador of the Civil Code | 2020
- China fire protection public welfare messenger | 2019
- Baidu Charity Promotion Ambassador | 2018
- National Mental Health Advocacy Ambassador | 2018
- “For Hope +1” Charity Event Promotion Ambassador | 2018
- The image spokesperson of Safe Campus activities | 2018
- Image ambassador of mother parcel | 2018
- The charity messenger of “Towards Ecological Civilization, Salute to Environmental Pioneers” | 2017
- China Children and Teenagers’ Foundation Smart Action Love Communication Ambassador | 2017
- Image spokesperson for China’s campus health action | 2013
- Image Ambassador of the 8th Beijing Youth Charity Film Festival | 2012
- Caring ambassador for the charity event “Girls in Heart” | 2011
- “We have a blue sky” as a spokesperson for charity activities | 2011
Latest Stage Performance
Please do not repost the information on this site without proper credit or permission from its authors.